New Students - Getting Started
Your Z-ID and Password
All applicants and admitted students are assigned a Z-ID. It is permanent.
If you don't know your Z-ID:
Applicants and admitted students: Call 815-753-8100 (24/7/365)
- Go to the Directory
- Look up your name
- Select your name. A new window will open.
- Your Z-ID is the first part of your email address.
Or call 815-753-8100 (24/7/365).
An initial password is assigned to you. It expires after 5 uses.
It is recommended that you change your initial password first thing at password.niu.edu.
The new password you set will be valid for 365 days.
Your initial password is:
- Your birthdate in NIU.YYYYMmmDD format
- Mmm is the first 3 characters of the Month with the first letter capitalized
- Example: January 1, 1994 = NIU.1994Jan01
Accounts created before June 29, 2015, have a different initial password format:
- Your birthdate in YYYYMmmDD format
- Mmm is the first 3 characters of the Month
- Example: January 1, 1994 = 1994Jan01
If you need help, call the Helpdesk at 815-753-8100.
Change your password any time
You can change your password any time at password.niu.edu.
NIU student email is powered by Google
Your email address is your Z-ID@students.niu.edu.
NIU communicates with you through NIU Google gmail.
Get NIU Google gmail the way you want it:
- in a browser - webmail.students.niu.edu
- on your mobile device
- forward to your Outlook or Apple Mail account
- POP or IMAP to your personal mailbox