New Students: Getting Started
Your Z-ID and Password
Applicants and admitted students are assigned a permanent Z-ID.
Applicants and admitted students who don't know their Z-ID must call 815-753-8100 (24/7/365)
Enrolled students can look up their Z-ID:
- Go to directory.niu.edu and search for your name.
- Select your name and you'll see your Z-ID as the first part of your @students.niu.edu email address.
Your initial password is your birthdate in NIU.YYYYMmmDD format
- Mmm is the first 3 characters of the Month with the first letter capitalized
- Example: January 1, 1994 = NIU.1994Jan01
Your initial password expires after only 5 uses, so change it immediately at password.niu.edu.
The new password you choose will expire after 365 days.
Your NIU student email address
Read your NIU email. It is the official way NIU administration and faculty communicate with you.
You can forward your NIU student email to your preferred account or use POP or IMAP to your preferred account.
Check MyNIU for:
- your application status,
- class schedule,
- financial aid,
- bills and payments, and more.
- Office 365